1. THE ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL IN MOLDOVA NOUA
The design of the place of worship was realized in 1995 and was carried out by the company IPROTIM in Timisoara.
The basement at the height of 12.5 m was sanctified, and the Church received as dedications “The Assumption of the Virgin Mary” and “St. Varvara”, the protector of the miners.
In 2008, the works were suspended due to lack of funds. For six years no progress was made on erecting the church, but the idea of building the church was not abandoned.
In 2013, following a pilgrimage to Mount Athos, two monks, sons of the city of Moldova Noua, had the idea of bringing an icon of the Virgin Mary and boosting the construction work of the Church!
The architecture of the church is in Byzantine style with a three-tiled plan. The dimensions of the church are 40 m x 18 m.
The consecration of the church was done on August 15, 2019!
2. Roman Catholic Church of Moldova Noua, historical monument in neoclassical style, was erected in stone in the eighteenth century (1777-1778) on the site of the old wooden church existing here since 1756. The church, with the dedication of Saint John the Baptist, has suffered over time a series of damage and redevelopment due to the troubled history of the place. In 1788, during the war with the Turks, the place of worship was plundered and destroyed. In 1791, it was restored and provided with a tower.
During the revolution of 1848, the church is again destroyed, this time by the Serbian population, and rebuilt a few years later (1852-1853). This time the parish house and even the marriage, baptism and funeral records from the eighteenth century were destroyed. At the end of 1854, the Austrian state sold its mines and properties to the Austrian Privileged State Society (StEG), which also becomes the benefactor of the Roman Catholic church. In 1860, StEG gave the church 3 iron bells and a clock for the tower. During the First World War (in 1914), the bells were requisitioned, as was the case with all the churches, and melted for ammunition.
Even before World War II the church was renovated both inside and outside with the help of collections. During the war, the church suffered damage not only due to the war, but also to a powerful earthquake (in 1940). The last renovations were made in 2008 (exterior) and 2012 (interior).
3. Serbian Church in Moldova Veche
According to the written sources (XVIII century), there was an older Serbian Orthodox Church dedicated to the Birth of St. John the Baptist, but with some modest dimensions, made of wood.
The present church, also dedicated to the Birth of St. John the Baptist, was built between 1853-1855 and is the most imposing place of worship, from a dimensional point of view, in the entire area (Danube Clisura), having a high tower that has five bells and a clock mechanism.
Initially the temple of the church was built. It was painted by the painter Frantz Vainhepl in the early 20th century, but has not been preserved in time. The old temple of the church was replaced by a new wooden one, the work of the sculptor Ladislav Veres. In the new one, however, they found place, however, for the old royal and diaconate doors. Around 40 old books (XVIII-XIX century) with a practical-religious character are kept in the building.